Monday, March 8, 2010

Creamy Bacon Mushroom Soup

I found this recipe in an old Taste of Home Magazine at my mother-in-law's and wanted to give it a try.  Here's the rub:  I thought I had all the ingredients, but when I was in the middle of fixing it, I realized I was missing something important:  the cream.  (Also in the middle of it, my sons who were playing soccer -- in the house! -- managed to send the ball sailing into the onions in a dish which broke into a gazillion pieces.  But that's beside the point.  I just thought you might appreciate knowing under what conditions this soup managed to get made.)  I'm going to give you the ingredients that are called for, but I'll also tell you what I did instead.  You can take your pick, because it was yummy!  And my kids, who aren't big on mushrooms, even liked the soup.  (Which after their fiasco, they'd better like it!)

1 package of bacon, diced
1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart heaving whipping cream
1 can chicken broth (or 2 cups)
1 package shredded cheese (we like Monterey Jack)
3 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3 T water

In a soup kettle or large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels, drain, reserving 2 T drippings.  In the drippings, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic.  Stir in cream and broth.  (I was missing the cream, so I improvised.  I used 1 1/2 cups whole milk, plus 5 oz of cream cheese.  It's what I had.  It worked!  Just stir a lot to melt the cream cheese.)  Gradually stir in shredded cheese until melted. 

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and water.  Whisk until smooth.  Stir into soup.  Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Garnish with bacon.  Makes about 8 servings.  Really yummy!  Serve with your choice of bread.

No comments: