Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Turkey Muffuletta

Almost all of us like this.  My younger son doesn't count because he doesn't like pizza or peanut butter, so you can see he's just weird.  I love him anyway.  But this is a super-easy, tasty sandwich that also sits well in the fridge for the next day.  Now, isn't that nice?  I found it in the December/January 2008 Taste of Home magazine.

1 loaf Italian bread
1/3 c olive oil
3 T balsamic vinegar
1 t dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t crushed red pepper
3/4 pound sliced deli turkey
6 oz provolone cheese, sliced
1 (7 oz) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
1/2 c sliced pimento-stuffed olives (I used them even though I don't like them.  It's good!)
1 large tomato, sliced
3 T shredded Romano cheese
1 t oregano
1/4 t pepper

Cut bread in half lengthwise and hollow out top and bottom, leaving a shell.  In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, salt and red pepper.  Brush over cut sides of bread.  In the bottom bread shell, layer turkey, provolone, peppers, olives and tomato.  Sprinkle with Romano cheese, oregano and pepper.  Replace bread top.  Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Cut into slices and serve!

3 comments:

anne graves said...

I had a muffuletta once and loved it! A good reminder to me that I should try it at home. Thanks!

Rachel said...

Wow...this looks like my kind of sandwich. Sure beats the usual!

Jenny said...

Stopping by from SITS! This sandwich looks delicious and I love the fact it can be made in advance the night before... thanks for sharing!