Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hearty Sausage Sandwich

Note to self:  don't type up recipes at night.  It makes you hungry at the worst time.  But I'm making the sacrifice for you. 

I really like this recipe.  While it's similar to the Beef Stroganoff Sandwich that I've made for years, it's enough different that I found it worthwhile to stash here.  It's a keeper from Taste of Home. 

1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
8 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/4 c chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 c grated Parmesan
1/4 c water
1/4 t oregano
1 loaf Italian bread
1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella

In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic; drain.  Add cream cheese, mushrooms,  Parmesan, water and oregano.  Cook and stir until well-blended.  Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4 inch shell.  Place bread bottom on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese, top with sausage and remaining cheese.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes at 350. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

Yum!

Holyoke Home said...

I bet you could use a soy sausage product to make it vegetarian!

A belated but no less heartfelt 'THANK YOU!' for stopping by my renovation blog on my SITS day. I really appreciate it!

Kitty Deschanel said...

Mmmm! Well, mmmm other than those icky, fungusy mushrooms ;)

Thanks for the fab recipe!

LambAround’s latest post: Getting All Teary-Eyed